Saturday, July 23, 2022

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday  Saturday Stumper is by Stella Zawistowski. Though SZ is known as maker of difficult puzzles, her Stumpers tend to be relatively easy. Not today’s puzzle though, which took me half an hour to finish. A solid Stumper. So I can finally throw back my head like a baying hound and bellow “Stella! Stella!” And mean it.

Some clue-and-answer pairs of note:

1-A, ten letters, “Diva designation.” This clue seemed to me a giveaway. A good start. Thank you.

6-D, six letters, “Region abutting Switzerland and Germany.” Of note to me because Elaine and I and our friend Margie King Barab once rendezvoused at a restaurant with this region’s cuisine. We were in Manhattan.

9-D, eight letters, “Went over.” Dig the vagueness.

12-D, ten letters, “Bit associated with Elvis.” I once saw an exhibit of Elvis artifacts at the local mall. The saddest exhibit I’ve ever seen. Sunglasses with the TCB insigina (Taking Care of Business.) Many 12-Ds.

17-A, ten letters. “Foldable food.” Yes, indeed.

18-A, four letters, “Badly in need of a wash.” Ick.

25-A, seven letters, “Much consumed juice.” A little deceptive, but I was not deceived.

25-D, ten letters, “Ready to go.” Oof.

27-D, ten letters, “Evincing one’s annoyance.” Oof. Oof.

31-A, five letters, “It’s in tanks a lot.” A wonderful clue. My first thought was SANKA.

46-D, five letters, “A little relief.” Very clever.

38-A, eight letters, “Drying out, perhaps.” ONTHEWAG — no, it doesn’t fit.

50-D, four letters, “County with radio station KVYN.” Now I get it.

56-A, ten letters, “Got nowhere.” I think the first four letters are meant to mislead.

61-A, ten letters, “Absents oneself.” Lovely.

My favorite: 36-D, eight letters, “Redundant reckoning.”

No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

[“I can finally throw back,” &c.: paraphrasing the stage direction from the play.]

comments: 5

Michael Leddy said...

COLORATURA. ALSACE. (Here’s Café d’Alsace.) RECAPPED. RHINESTONE.

PIZZASLICE. RIPE. ACPOWER. ACTIONABLE. PROTESTANT. (Not PROTESTING.)

CORAL. CAMEO. INTHESUN. NAPA. STALEMATED. (Not STALLEDOUT.) SUMTOTAL.

Geo-B said...

Something amiss here? Last three clues, only two answers?

Michael Leddy said...

Oops — I left out PLAYSHOOKY.

shallnot said...

KVYN: there was a Chinese restaurant in Oakville, Ontario that I used to pass by on the GO commuter train to/from Toronto. It wasn’t until I read the name aloud did I “get” it... Ho Lee Chow...

Michael Leddy said...

Ha! I just saw the pun on their food-truck page (if it’s the same operation): “Where the truck are we?”