Saturday, July 16, 2022

Today’s Saturday Stumper

The Newsday crossword is still unavailable (at least to me) at the Newsday website, so I found today’s Saturday Stumper here. Today’s puzzle is by “Lester Ruff” (Stan Newman), and 1-D, six letters, “World Chess champion, 1975-85” seemed to portend an easy puzzle indeed. (Why am I using a word like portend early on a Saturday morning?) The one sticky part of the puzzle for me: the northeast corner, where 7-A, eight letters, “Highly attuned to others” and 10-D, five letters, “Takes in" baffled me. But not forever.

Some clue-and-answer pairs of note:

1-A, six letters, “Former members of the OfficeMax family.” Perhaps common knowledge, but news to me.

8-D, six letters, “Heretofore.” I had the wrong start.

14-D, eight letters, “Plant regulated by the EPA.” Not anymore?

37-A, fifteen letters, “Sales promotion phrase.” Oh, that kind of, &c.

37-D, eight letters, “Rallying cry of the 2000s.” I have to think it’s still the case.

47-D, six letters, “Escarole alias.” I had no idea. When I was a grad student, esacrole meant “cheaper than lettuce.” The alias has always seemed to me a fancy-pants word.

53-A, five letters, “The origin of civilzation.” Heh.

56-A, four letters, “Chow chow.” I cannot see these words without thinking of Ed Norton.

66-A, eight letters, “Owlet, for instance.” Aww.

My favorite: 24-D, six letters, “Charge you shouldn’t have to pay for.”

No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

comments: 3

Michael Leddy said...

KARPOV. SELFLESS. FLAMS. KMARTS.

ERENOW. (Not TILNOW.) SMELTERY. (Not REFINERY.)

YOURCARTISEMPTY. (A figurative cart.) YESWECAN.

ENDIVE. SOFTC. ALPO. NESTLING. BUMRAP.

shallnot said...

When I was a kid it was never just ENDIVE but Belgian endive for some reason. (To go with the Brussels sprouts?)

Michael Leddy said...

And waffles, maybe?