Monday, July 11, 2022

Safari bookmark folders and subfolders

I accidentally moved a Safari bookmark folder into another bookmark folder on my Mac. And guess what? There’s no way to move it back out and have it be a folder again. Once a subfolder, always a subfolder.

The solution: Create a new bookmark folder. Move the bookmarks from the subfolder into the new folder. Delete the now empty subfolder.

And then there’s a new problem: how to move the new folder so that it’s in alphabetical order. It does not appear possible: any attempt to move it turns into another folder’s subfolder. That’s how I ended up turning a folder into a subfolder to begin with.

I miss SafariSort.

comments: 8

Geo-B said...

What is there about watching movies from the 40s and 50s the makes you an unfit viewer of Five Esy Pieces?

Michael Leddy said...

I think I’d say that the ’70s are just not my decade. I was imagining different, admittedly silly trajectories: Robert rediscovers his love of music and organizes concerts to bring music to his fellow oil-rig workers. Or he turns his back on music but goes back to organize the workers into a union. Just too much alienation in the narrative line. And extreme rudeness in a diner. : )

Sean Crawford said...

I am reminded of how there was a film showing, in order, of the previous James Marlow detective movies. This would have been in 1973. All was well until the last was shown, with Eliot Gould, as it takes place in 1973 and Marlow is too straight, too out of place for such a modern era. So the viewers at the showing were dismayed and angry.

I believe I got that story from Roger Ebert, but I don't know.

Michael Leddy said...

Interesting — I was never a fan of Gould’s Marlowe.

joecab said...

Don't most browsers let you import and export from other browsers? Couldn't you, say import your Safari bookmarks into Chrome, fix what needs fixing, then import them back into Safari again?

Michael Leddy said...

That’s a good suggestion — thanks. Perhaps Apple should add it to their support pages. : )

joecab said...

And mention their competitors? Surely you jest ;)

Michael Leddy said...

’Deed I do.

To their credit, they have finally added the ability to sort bookmarks within a folder.