Thursday, February 3, 2022

Hating on 1-D

A clue in an ultra-nifty crossword by Rose Sloan and Norah Sharpe helped me understand why our fambly dislikes a particular brand of bottled water, not that any of us drink bottled water very often:

1-D, six letters, “Water brand with added salts (which might just make you more thirsty?).”

I make no judgment about whether the minerals added to 1-D’s purified tap water are dangerous. I’m not even sure that they make you thirstier. All I know is that we don’t like 1-D, which, many years ago, a younger family member deemed “melty.” We like our water wet, not melty.

[The answer to 1-D begins with D .]

comments: 4

shallnot said...

There are words that I categorize as “legal evasive”. That clue contains two legal evasives: might and just.

Would the corporate parent of the water brand happen to rhyme with: boca bola? (Boca Bola would make a good town name in Florida...)

Michael Leddy said...

And the clue is asking a question. Yes, it’s Dasani, worst water ever, imfho (in my fambly’s humble opinion).

Anonymous said...

The worst water, if it can be called water, that I had was in St. Petersburg, Russia in the early 90's. We would be served mineral water -- with and without bubbles. One was a green bottle and one was a brown bottle and always at room temperature.

I tried a brown bottle once (I think no bubbles) and oh, it was mineral water including the minerals. There was sediment at the bottom of the bottle and all I could taste was iron.

For many of us on the tour, vodka became the drink of choice!!

I don't remember the taste of Dasani when I've had it.

Kirsten

Michael Leddy said...

Water is always better without dregs, isn’t it? : )

Kirsten, your horror water reminded me of the water Elaine and I once had in Ashland, Ohio. It was like sulfur in a glass. When we asked the waitress about the taste, she didn’t know what we were asking about. I think her response was genuine.