Saturday, February 12, 2022

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday  Saturday Stumper, by Matthew Sewell, is a deeply satisfying puzzle, one that often had me torn between “Huh?” and “Wha?” I was happy to get everything right (though it took half an hour).

Some clue-and-answer pairs I especially liked:

5-D, three letters, “GE cofounder.” Read the clue carefully.

9-D, five letters, “Viva voces, at Oxford.” The answer seems be turning up often in recent crosswords, but I haven’t seen it with this clue.

15-A, ten letters, “Pages in a pit.” Young workers at the Chicago Board of Trade, right?

17-A, ten letters, “One for two.” This was a “Huh?”

27-D, four letters, “Nonplus.” Used correctly!

29-A, six letters, “One of ‘The Almighty’s marines.’” I’ve never heard this expression.

29-D, six letters, “Handled like some art shows.” This was a “Wha?”

30-A, eight letters, “Didn’t sound off.” Nice misdirection.

31-D, three letters, “Circled Rs.” The clue adds value to the answer.

47-A, eight letters, “Outdoes in history.” Tricky.

60-A, ten letters, “Better.” Adjective? Adverb? Noun? Verb?

My favorite clue in today's puzzle: 28-A, five letters, “College course.”

No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

comments: 5

Michael Leddy said...

TAE. (Initials, like GE.) ORALS. OPERASCORE. TANDEMSEAT. STUN.

JESUIT. JURIED. RANGTRUE. TMS. (Trademarks: ®.)

PREDATES. (It’s older, outdoing something else in its age.)

AMELIORATE. RAMEN.

shallnot said...

“...marines”? No. “”Stormtroopers of God”? Yes.

Michael Leddy said...

It’s weird: searching for this expression gets me crossword sites first, followed by nutty conspiracy-laden religious sites.

I went to a Jesuit college — no religious reason, just a good school. I found the Jesuits I knew a remarkably various bunch. I took a course on Camus with a Jesuit who said that he regarded Camus as a saint. I took a couple of courses in scholastic philosophy with a Jesuit who was never without his collar. And there was one Jesuit who taught Hegel who was never without a wide colorful tie and sportcoat. No Marines, though there was an expert on the steel industry known as “the steel priest.”

Elaine said...

Wow. I had Predates and Juried (common for quilt shows) but mostly stumped. Wanted a musical Score but ammystified about the opera specificity....
i haveadded RossWords to my Sunday downloads (sent in a subscription donation) and find these difficult but not as impossible as the Stumpers.
After I updated, caps lock via double-tap no longer wotks on the iPad.

Michael Leddy said...

I guess OPERASCORE because the musicians are down in a pit, so they’d be playing an opera or musical.

I always have caps lock turned off. I’d be surprised if they removed it. Maybe it needs to be reset in Settings? I’ll remember to look when I have my iPad out.