Saturday, December 18, 2021

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Someone at Crossword Fiend mentioned that the Newsday crossword is now in ten-year-old reruns for the holiday season. I hadn’t even heard of the Saturday Stumper ten years ago, so today’s puzzle is, as they say of TV reruns, new to me. It’s by the puzzle’s editor, Stan Newman, no pseudonym, and it’s a good one — which means that it took me about twenty minutes to solve.

Some clue-and-answer pairs I especially liked:

1-A, seven letters, “See 23 Down.” Okay, what kind of puzzle begins with a clue like that? This one. 23-D, six letters: “With 1 Across, Baldwin’s mom on 30 Rock.” I think a better (non-giveaway) clue is in order, but I’m happy to see 23-D 1-A in the puzzle.

8-A, seven letters, “Now and then.” Clever. And have you heard John Lennon’s “Now and Then”?

11-D, five letters, “Net 26 Down.” And 26-D, six letters, “Scratch.” I am unreasonably proud to have gotten 26-D straight off, which somehow let me catch the trick in 11-D.

19-A, six letters, “It’s usually felt on the head.” A wonderful clue.

37-D, seven letters, “Put up or shut up!” The answer puts me back in my schooldays, early ones.

38-D, seven letters, “Loosen up, perhaps.” Terrific, and if you’re starting with the first two letters in place, you may be headed in a wrong direction.

43-A, eleven letters, “Food processors.” Okay. But the answer feels dated to me, maybe from a thirty-year-old puzzle.

46-A, five letters, “Host mail.” Technology makes this clue fun.

No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

comments: 3

Michael Leddy said...

STRITCH. ELAINE. (My suggestion for 23-D: “With 1 Across, lady with ‘The Ladies Who Lunch.’”)

ADVERBS. ECASH. MOOLAH. FEDORA.

PROVE IT. RESPACE. CREPEMAKERS. RSVPS.

shallnot said...

A really trivial (as in related to trivia) clue for Elaine Stritch could be “Moriarty’s foe”.

TRILBYS rather than FEDORAS?

Back to Elaine:






Law and Order episode.

— Steven

Michael Leddy said...

(After a visit to IMDb): I think they need to add another day to the week for that level of Stumper-ness. Whew!