Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Overheard

“Oh, it’s jazz. All they do is improvise.”

Related reading
All OCA “overheard” posts (Pinboard)

comments: 3

ChasM said...

You and I know the rigor of an Ellington, a Mingus, a Miles Davis even. But if you substitute the word "improvise" for "wander" or "noodle" or perhaps a slang for self-gratification you will capture the understanding of jazz by most.

I mean, Eb-13/#11 is an awesome chord, but the only reason anyone but a jazz aficionado has ever even heard it in contemporary music is because it's part of one of the saddest cartoon-based Christmas carols ever written.

Michael Leddy said...

Yeah, they’re just making stuff up.

I will have to wait till I get home to a piano to see (hear) if that’s the chord I think it is. But I think it is. I’ve always suspected that Vince Guaraldi was inspired by “Chelsea Bridge” with that tune.

Michael Leddy said...

Yep, that’s the one. : )