Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Bounce, no bounce

I was with my mom in the waiting room of a medical facility this afternoon. As I was getting her settled, I noticed a man and woman sitting across from us, the man with his mask under his nose. It’s a familiar look in these parts.

“Sir,” I said, “would you please pull your mask up over your nose? I’d feel a lot more comfortable.”

He looked at me and obliged. And then he got up and walked away, followed by the woman, who appeared to have no say in the matter.

“We better leave before I bounce him like a rock,” the man said, loud enough for me to hear. But I didn’t hear a thing. The man and woman went to stand outside, on the 30℉-ish prairie, rather than sit inside wearing proper masks. Someone would call them when it was time.

I did not bounce. If anyone bounced, this man did, followed by the woman, who appeared to have no say in the matter.

[This is not a dream post.]

comments: 9

Anonymous said...

Apparently he didn't get the memo about how transmission occurs. Want to bet he wasn't vaccinated either. Somehow they go together anymore.

My cousin in SC (not a mask believer, unvaccinated, had a mild case)invited me to Christmas at their house and then to go to FL to see my aunt (who had a bad case of covid including 2 weeks on oxygen). Let's see get on an airplane (2-3x times likely to be infected right now according to an article in Bloomberg) and spend a holiday with family with the above.

And she knows I am a supporter of all that protects others!

Here the masks seem to be less worn and cases rising again. I'm avoiding Walmart and Aldi until after New Year if I can! Oh, delivery!!!


Kirsten

Michael Leddy said...

Elaine and I get the feeling when we’re shopping that non-masking is now more deliberate. It used to seem that people were just not thinking about putting on masks — they were oblivious. Now it seems that they’re thinking about not putting on masks — by not wearing masks they’re insisting on their “freedoms.”

By the way, if you’re not vegan, crab cakes are back at Aldi, for a while, I hope.

Frex said...

Some rock.

(hee hee)
Frex = Fresca

Michael Leddy said...

Hah! And what a blockhead idiom: bounce like a rock?!

Frex said...

I think that's the icky point:
rocks don't bounce . . . and neither would this guy's victim, right?

Michael Leddy said...

Ohh — I thought maybe it was something like skipping stones. I should have asked him to explain. : )

Michael Leddy said...

I just want to add: Google has nothing for “bounce him like a rock.” (Or “bounced.”)

Frex said...

Hey--how bout this? Unrelated, but a fun fact:

"Bounce Rock is a football-sized primarily pyroxene rock found [on] the planet Mars. It was discovered by the Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity in April 2004.
The rock was named for it having been struck by Opportunity as the craft bounced to a stop during its landing stage.

"Bounce Rock bears a striking resemblance[1] to a class of meteorites found on Earth known as shergottites, that are believed to have originated from Mars."

I wish you had run after that guy, told him of your interest in idioms (and some rocks!), and asked him about the origin of "bounce him like a rock"!
Hard to know if that would've gone well, though, or not...

--Frex = Fresca

Michael Leddy said...

I tempted to make a joke about the rocks and the shergottites and the Hittites, but I’ll control myself.

I thought earlier today of a Niles Crane moment: ”But before you go: I’m intrigued by your idiom. When you say that you would bounce me,” and so on.