Wednesday, December 29, 2021

The best book of the past 125 years

Readers of The New York Times have spoken. Kinda predictably. Yep, the best. Whatever you say.

A related post
NYT “Best Book”

[At least they didn’t pick Harry Potter.]

comments: 11

Frex said...

I ran into a pay wall at the NYT link--
can you say what the Best Book is?
--Frex = Fresca

Michael Leddy said...

It’s To Kill a Mockingbird.

I’ve added a “gift” link (I don’t always think of it), so you can see the whole thing.

Frex said...

Hahaha--perfect. We white folks like to think we are all Atticus Finch, eh?

Michael Leddy said...

It says so much about the paper and its audience. It’s bewildering. But it’s a good reminder that the Book Review is hardly the last word on literary value.

Elaine said...

Charlotte's Web doesn't even get a mention!

Michael Leddy said...

It was in their longer list of books to vote for.

Me, I’m now leaning to the Oxford English Dictionary.

Slywy said...

Have you read Harry Potter? I finally broke down and bought the Kindle version of the series. I have so much to get to first, both paper and ebooks, like some on Illinois geology.

I'll have to read the article. I haven't read that much published since 1900 (one exception being To Kill a Mockingbird, half a lifetime ago).

Michael Leddy said...

I read the first page of the first one and stopped there. Just not for me.

Slywy said...

Well, now I'm reading about Cahokia, Jeffersonian thought, and Betrayal by Jonathan Karl, in addition to an earth science textbook, so I'm all over the place. :)

Slywy said...

Also, I picked up a Stephen King book twice. The first time I had to stop reading after the first page. The second time I picked and a random page, on which a weasel was "gnawing." Weasels don't "gnaw." He seems a decent person, but his writing style is not for me.

Michael Leddy said...

I’m about to go from Plato to The Turn of the Screw.