Thursday, December 23, 2021

A Hamilton House menu

Here’s a five-page menu from the Hamilton House. Quite an array of choices, for an earlier American palate. Cold jellied tomato consomme, anyone? Anyone?

Related posts
10031 Fourth Avenue, Brooklyn : Hamilton House cheesecake : Hamilton House green beans : A Hamilton House postcard

[The Hamilton House was a memorable restaurant of my Brooklyn childhood. The menu is, I think, from well before my time. Thanks to the reader who found it.]

comments: 6

Anonymous said...

Reading the menu is a glimpse into the past especially what we were eating at the time or what restaurants viewed as having on the menu. And many people today don't have any idea of many of the items on the menu or even why they were included.

Fruit cocktail as an appetizer and dessert. The many types of potatoes. And "Birds Eye" green peas. Orange or grapefruit segment salad.

I find it very interesting that trademark brands were listed on the menu.

Love it!!

Kirsten

Anonymous said...

PS. If you look at the Sunday dinner menu attached with the menu (attachment 1) it lists the menu as Sunday October 27th.

I found a place on the web where you can see what years that might have been: https://spu.edu/ddowning/percal.htm

1957?

Kirsten

Michael Leddy said...

Kirsten, between you and the reader who found the menu, it’s like having a detective agency on the case! I think 1957 is a good guess. This menu lacks London broil, which I could swear was something from the Hamilton House as I knew it. And I think the logo was less cursive-like when I was a kid. So I think this menu predates my restaurant life.

I noticed the msny liver dishes and the fruit and mayonnaise. And the cocktails, mostly unknown to me. And the long list of Scotches, but very little bourbon. And not much wine. It’s another world.

Michael Leddy said...

Many liver dishes. (My phone can’t type.)

Anonymous said...

here's a postcard

https://www.illumira.net/show.php?pid=njcore:192087&retc=njcore:190566

Michael Leddy said...

Totally ready for its close-up. Thanks, Anon.