Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Charles Mingus and Spider-Man

Thinking about Charles Mingus and television theme music made me realize: the theme for the 1960s cartoon series Spider-Man, by Bob Harris and Paul Francis Webster, sounds heavily indebted to Mingus’s “Boogie Stop Shuffle.”

Bob Harris wrote the theme music for Lolita. (Not “Lolita Ya Ya”; that’s Nelson Riddle.) Paul Francis Webster, lyricist, worked with Duke Ellington on songs for the 1941 musical revue Jump for Joy, “I Got It Bad (And That Ain’t Good)” among others. It’s easy to imagine that someone had been listening to Mingus.

comments: 2

Anonymous said...

Good catch. I'm currently listening to "Boogie Stop Shuffle" and had that déjà vu moment and Googled and found this. For some reason, I connected it to the Batman series, but you're right. It's the Spider-Man animated series theme song.

If the Marvin Gaye Estate had rights to "Boogie Stop Shuffle," I think we know what that would lead to...

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks for commenting.

Another one that I think of with TV: “So Long Eric,” which sounds like it was born to be the theme music for a detective series.