Sunday, January 17, 2021

Springfield 1908

From NBC News:

Illinois‘s two senators have called on President-elect Joe Biden to make the site of a 1908 race riot in Springfield a national monument.

Sens. Tammy Duckworth and Dick Durbin, both Democrats, wrote to Biden Thursday asking for the designation, citing the riot’s historic significance, especially its role in inspiring the founding of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.
Wikipedia has an extensive article about the riot, which might be better described as racial terrorism.

comments: 3

Daughter Number Three said...

I've probably heard that the Springfield white race riots were part of what led to the founding of the NAACP, I don't believe I've ever read the details. Wow.

Elaine said...

Tulsa was worse.

Michael Leddy said...

Pat, in all the years I've lived in Illinois, I've never heard anyone speak of these events. (I do know something of the history of racism here, which includes many sundown towns.)

Elaine, I learned about Tulsa many years ago from reading the poet Ron Padgett ( a native Tulsan). Yes, it’s harrowing history.