Saturday, January 23, 2021

Today’s Newsday Saturday

Today’s Newsday  Saturday crossword, by Matthew Sewell, is not a Stumper. But it’s not that easy either. I started with an answer that I knew had to be right: 15-D, ten letters, “Bound to happen.” I was almost right, right enough to get a few (correct) answers and catch my mistake. I still think my mistaken answer fits the clue better.

Some clue and answer pairs I especially liked:

7-D, four letters, “Close watch.” The answer should have been obvious, and yet it wasn’t.

14-D, ten letters, “Sit-downs.” A nice clash of diction between clue and answer. “Sit-downs” makes me think of Tony Soprano and company. The answer, not so much.

16-A, four letters, “It may be nursed in a nursery.” Aww.

19-A, three letters, “Gull or rook.” Good birdplay.

A clue whose answer I find unconvincing: 65-A, ten letters, “‘Dinner is served’ sight.” Does anyone really say those ten letters? I may need to travel in better circles. Or these days, any circles. Or any shapes.

My favorite clue in this puzzle: 63-A, ten letters, “What those who have had it have.”

No spoilers: the answers are in the comments.

comments: 1

Michael Leddy said...

INEXORABLE. But I think of inexorable as describing a force that moves events. If something is bound to happen? That’s inevitable.

TABS. TETEATETES. OWIE. CON.

ENTREEDISH. Okay, a dish that holds an entrée. But still.

NOPATIENCE. That’s me, with the previous clue.