Saturday, January 2, 2021

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday  Saturday Stumper is another 2010 repeat. It’s by “Anna Stiga,” Stan Again, a pseudonym Stan Newman uses for easier Stumpers. I found it an easy puzzle, even by Stiga standards. One sign that Newman has, as Newsday points out, updated the puzzles running during his vacation: 38-A, nine letters, “Odin’s wife in 2011's Thor.”

Some clue-and-answer pairs I especially liked:

11-A, three letters, “US stamp series subject of 1945–46.” The rules about this stuff have changed, as I realized from the answer.

24-A, nine letters, “Plenty of nothing.” I was thinking of hot air and windbags. I suspect the answer comes from the world of sport. (It does.)

29-A, six letters, “Havana? No.” A blast from the past.

29-D, three letters, “HHH successor as VP.” Who’d have thought the name would be back in the air now?

32-D, eight letters, “Shakespearean title character.” Gotta reach a bit here, or at least I did.

43-D, six letters, “Tot’s coat attachment.” Aww.

51-A, six letters, “Marimba mallet material.” Huh. This clue made me think about how many musical instruments I’ve never tried.

An odd word, for me: the answer to 48-A, nine letters, “Hall of Famer, by definition.” But I see that in a certain discourse, yes, that’s the word.

My favorite answer in today’s puzzle, 32-A, fifteen letters, “Second-string players?” Though I’d hardly call them second-stringers.

No spoilers: the answers are in the comments.

comments: 3

Michael Leddy said...

RENERUSSO. FDR. GOOSEEGGS. STOGIE.

STA. (Spiro T. Agnew.) CRESSIDA. MITTEN.

RATTAN. ENSHRINEE. CHARACTERACTORS.

shallnot said...

ENSHRINEE: this implies an ENSHRINER. If so, do they ride a little motorcycle while wearing a fez in parades?

Michael Leddy said...

Ha! I’d say more, but there’s no emoji for the fez.