Thursday, January 7, 2021

Better

Is the United States “better than this”? If it were, it wouldn’t be “this.”

Can the United States be “better than this”? It has to be.

comments: 2

Fresca said...

The question "Are we better than this?" seems based on a delusion to me--
There's not some moral gene or some angel that determines our behavior, "bad/better/best".

I think the questions is,
"Why are people (why am I) acting this way,
and how can we change conditions so we all act better?"
Just my tweak on that phrase---but anyway, I agree--
Yes, we must make better conditions!

Michael Leddy said...

The insistence that “we are better than this” always bugs me, because if we were better, we wouldn’t be “this.” But some of us are better than what we saw yesterday. That, I’d insist on. I think I need to rethink what I wrote to put the emphasis on the country, not individuals.