Saturday, September 9, 2017

WSJ Puzzle

The Wall Street Journal claims to offer “America’s most elegant, adventurous and addictive crosswords and other word games.” I’m not sure that’s so, but the crosswords at WSJ Puzzle are excellent: challenging and clever, not corny, not contrived. And free. I especially like the wit that turns up in non-theme clues for ordinary words. In today’s puzzle by Roger and Kathy Wienberg, for instance, 71-Across, five letters: “Tell tale item.” No spoilers: the answer is in the comments.

[“Not corny, not contrived”: I find The New York Times crossword too often corny or contrived or both.]

comments: 5

Michael Leddy said...

ARROW.

shallnot said...

I suppose a "Tell-tale item" would be a 'heart'?

Michael Leddy said...

I’d say so. The lack of a hyphen is the tell-tale part of the clue.

Stefan said...

Huh. I thought for sure it was "apple."

Michael Leddy said...

The right track.