Sunday, September 17, 2017

“The important thing is handwriting”


[Chus Lampreave, Ángel de Andrés López, and Juan Martínez. What Have I Done to Deserve This? (dir. Pedro Almodóvar, 1984. Click for a larger view.]

Three generations: grandmother, father, son. Dad is asking about how school is going. Dad is a cabdriver. Also a forger.

Related reading
All OCA handwriting posts (Pinboard)

comments: 3

Fresca said...

You know this passage from Turgenev's story "First Love"?

"I was the spectator of an amazing occurrence:
my father conducted Count Malevsky by the arm through the dining-room into the hall, and, in the presence of a footman, said icily to him:
‘A few days ago your excellency was shown the door in our house; and now I am not going to enter into any kind of explanation with you, but I have the honour to announce to you that if you ever visit me again, I shall throw you out of window. I don’t like your handwriting.’
The count bowed, bit his lips, shrank away, and vanished."

I know this because Marz used to go around quoting this, "I shall throw you out of window. I don’t like your handwriting."

Now she says, [she's in my kitchen right now, making oatmeal],
"I used to want to throw everyone out the window, but I now I know when you throw everyone out the window, there you go too.
Whoever you are, I love your handwriting.
Your oatmeal's ready, by the way."

Michael Leddy said...

That made my day. Thank you, Fresca.

Michael Leddy said...

P.S.: I feel a self-help title coming on: Whoever You Throw, There You Are .