Thursday, September 14, 2017

The 26 Old Characters

From the W.A. Sheaffer Pen Company, a dowdy-world history of our alphabet and fountain pens: The 26 Old Characters (1947). Dig the young people eagerly opening letters at 17:38.

Thanks, Martha!

comments: 2

Geo-B said...

Gosh, even though I still write with a gold-tipped fountain pen, so much of this is out-of-date. As a lecturer teaching 3 sections of freshman comp in 1976, I would take 75 papers home every week to grade. I often thought English teachers became experts at deciphering difficult handwriting. Still an English teacher, still a constant grader, I never ever see my students' handwriting.Many of them take notes by typing on a laptop, or snapping a picture of the board with their camera. I write on the blackboard, I write their grades in my gradebook, I'm in danger of growing antique.

Michael Leddy said...

I have a friend who drew the line at photographing the blackboard, or whiteboard, or slides, or whatever.

I was reading handwriting till the very end (short in-class writing and exams), but I used spreadsheets for the last ten years or so of teaching. So much easier! But if I could have kept spreadsheets with a fountain pen, I would have. :)