Friday, September 29, 2017

“Technocracy Debunked”


[Everyday Science and Mechanics, February 1933. Found here. Click for a larger view.]

I became curious about Everyday Science and Mechanics after looking into the Depression-era trick of sharpening a razor blade on a drinking glass. “Technocracy Debunked”: I’d like to see page 214 and find out what that article had to say.

comments: 4

Chris said...

The editor's name on the front cover caught my eye. Hugo Gernsback was a leading publisher in the golden age of science fiction. The Hugo Awards are named after him.

Michael Leddy said...

Who knew! Not me. Thanks for sharing that, Chris.

Frex said...

Oh, oh, oh, I know, I know!
*raises hand to add info*

I know about Hugo Gernsback because he's a pivotal figure in the history of fandom:
not only did he publish in 1926 the first all–sci-fi magazine, Amazing Stories, but, crucially, when fans wrote to the editor, he published their mailing addresses along with their letters––not normal practice––allowing fans to talk among themselves. (Some were already talking on ham radio.)
Aaaand.... eventually, we got Internet message boards, etc.

Slywy said...

Sadly, that might be considered doxxing today.