Saturday, May 6, 2023

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday  Saturday Stumper, by Steve Mossberg, is the toughest Stumper since March 25. That Stumper too was by Steve Mossberg. I doubted I would be able to complete this one, but I did. Forty-eight minutes’ worth of solving.

Some clue-and-answer pairs of note:

1-A, nine letters, “Creation for a trade show.” And so it begins. I was thinking of a display or demo of some sort.

2-D, four letters, “Indian name at Woodstock.” I know only Sri Swami Satchidananda. But it’s easy to guess the answer, and it’s a reminder of how many musicians are missing from the movie and the triple-album.

8-D, four letters, “Watches for money.” My first though was the perhaps over-Stumpery SWAP.

14-A, nine letters, “What a wedding band might do.” Have I mentioned this puzzle’s difficulty?

17-A, ten letters, “Enters a new phase.” Do you see what I mean about this puzzle?

20-A, seven letters, “You’d expect it to catch a mouse.” Pretty misdirective.

26-A, six letters, “Musical ‘one more time.’” I knew it right away, but the weirdness of 27-D had me thinking that I must have been misspelling it.

27-D, ten letters, “Veil-wearing activity.” Did I mention the weirdness of 27-D?

28-D, ten letters, “Word in the news expected today (5/6/23).” Who cares? Not me.

36-D, eight letters, "Half of a dance duo." Hoo boy.

41-D, four letters, “Cosmo or Tiki beverage.” My tastes are simpler.

48-A, four letters, “One way to get your things together.” I wanted PAIR.

53-D, four letters, “Digital editing.” More than slightly strained.

54-D, letters, “Stayed.” More than more than slightly strained.

55-A, four letters, “Whom Emerson met in Yosemite.” Easy to guess, but surprising to learn.

61-A, four letters, “What Asian bread isn’t.” I think this clue is a tad bonkers.

My favorite in this puzzle: 56-D, three letters, "Shortened studies." A lot of wit to expend on a three-letter answer.

No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

comments: 1

Michael Leddy said...

PRESSPASS. RAVI. (His performance at the 1967 Monterey Pop Festival is preserved on film.)

SITS. HAVANAGILA. EVAPORATES. CATSEYE. DACAPO. APICULTURE.

CORONATION. CASTANET. RITA. STIR. MANI. BEEN. MUIR.

YENS. (Because the plural is yen, I guess.) RMS.