Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Space cases

A quiz from The Chicago Manual of Style: Chicago Style Workout 75: Spaces and Spacing.

I got an 80. Someday I’m gonna get 100 on one of these quizzes.

comments: 7

Joe DiBiase said...

60 for me. But all of my incorrect responses were of a type that I'd never know, e.g., proofreading marks, typesetters' conventions. So, I'll take that as a win.

Michael Leddy said...

I missed on the reason for doublespacing (it’s always been about readability for me) and on the use of asterisks. I don’t think I ever submitted anything for publication with untitled sections.

Lisa Ridolfi said...

100, but I admit to guessing on the elipsis question.

Michael Leddy said...

I thought that changing the font color was a bit of a stretch, but I’ve done exactly that to indent runover lines of poetry in HTML (before learning about non-breaking spaces).

Daughter Number Three said...

Sheesh, I got 100%. Though I used to be a typesetter, despite the fact that (as you have no doubt noticed) I am now indifferent about using straight quotes and apostrophes on my blog.

Reading one of your comments above, I think there may be different questions on different users' versions of the quiz. Was there something about font color?

Michael Leddy said...

There was a question about the ellipsis: whether it’s appropriate in Chicago style to avoid a break in an ellipse by typing five unspaced periods and making the second and fourth ones white.

Daughter Number Three said...

Ah, I didn't even read that answer because I knew it wasn't correct.