Thursday, May 25, 2023

Sill bitar after all these years

[Click for a larger view.]

Fresca sent this photograph. Thanks, Fresca. The jar is holding buttons.

Sill bitar is Swedish for “herring pieces.” And yes, sill bitar after all these years: Noon Hour Food Products has been at it since 1876.

[Herring today, sardines Sunday, in the form of an NYC tax photograph.]

comments: 4

Fresca said...

Button jars is one of my favorite donations at the thrift store where I work--often because of the old jars even more than the buttons.

Michael Leddy said...

A nice example of repurposing (jar) and saving (buttons).

Chris said...

This brings back memories of fishing. I think when I was a kid we used to get live bait in little round cans. (Bloodworms?) I haven't thought about that for decades. Of course I'm sure sardine bits would serve the same purpose.

Michael Leddy said...

I’ve seen cans or cups of bait for sale in the convenience stores attached to gas stations. I’ve never investigated further. All my sardines come from the supermarket. : )