Saturday, October 22, 2022

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday  Saturday Stumper is by Steve Mossberg, whose puzzles have at times given me fits. I see that I’ve written that sentence in a previous post, and nearly written it in another, with sometimes for at times. So I’ll revise:

Today’s Newsday  Saturday Stumper is by Steve Mossberg, whose puzzles often give me fits.

This was a tough Stumper — thirty-nine minutes for me. I felt defeated from the start: 1-A, ten letters, “Sweater for the small,” what? I found a starting point dead center: 36-A, eight letters, “Henchwoman, e.g.” With 30-A, nine letters, “Fantastic shortcuts,” above, and 41-A, nine letters, “Genesis through Deuteronomy,” below, I began to work out more answers. But gosh, was this one tough. Which is a good thing.

Some clue-and-answer pairs of note:

1-D, three letters, “Minimal bit.” So hard to see, especially when you have neither 1-A nor 15-A nor 17-A.

5-D, four letters, “Head home.” Groan.

9-D, three letters, “Booster beneficiary.” A nice way to clue a common answer. My first thought was VAX — an initial vaccination benefiting from a booster.

12-D, eleven letters, “‘The Great Picture Hunt!’ is the sixth in its series.” A giveaway, maybe.

15-A, ten letters, “A question of effort.” This one had me hung up for a long time.

19-A, five letters, “Spring gatherings.” Too clever for my own good, I thought POOLS.

22-D, five letters, “Took all the way to the top, maybe.” Just strange.

25-A, seven letters, “Two different groups working with wires.” A bit strained.

26-A, six letters, “Often-steamy stories.” I’m wise to you crossword guys.

34-D, five letters, “Went at it.” Clever.

29-D, five letters, “Back for more?” Really clever.

53-D, four letters, “Choice for chips.” I hope you’re joking.

My favorite in this puzzle: 55-A, ten letters, “Penguin ritual.”

No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

comments: 5

Michael Leddy said...

FUSSBUDGET. ABETTOR. WORMHOLES. MOSAICLAW. FIG. BEER.

EGO. WHERESWALDO. ISITENOUGH. PROMS. SAWUP. FENCERS.

ATTICS. ROWED. (i.e., fought.) BETON. KALE. BOOKLAUNCH.

shallnot said...

In case 1A still confounds: think of the book “Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff” and do sweat it.

We pluralize storey as storeys...

Booster is part of a good COVID joke: did you hear they have the latest booster-shot in the England? Except, they spell it “borcestershire”...

Michael Leddy said...

I did, eventually, think about someone who sweats. All I could think of at first was a cute outfit for a puppy.

I’m not sure what I’m missing re: storeys. Was it in the puzzle.

I like that joke. As far as I’m concerned, any humor that might move someone to get the shot is good humor.

joecab said...

I just gave up. Could not get a hold in that NW corner. Ugh.

Michael Leddy said...

I think it took me almost as long as the rest. Much struggle.