Saturday, October 1, 2022

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday  Saturday Stumper is by the puzzle’s editor, Stan Newman, composing as Lester Ruff (“less rough”). I found it an easier Stumper, with some tough spots, but always with a way to keep going.

Some clue-and-answer pairs of note:

4-D, six letters, “Advisor to Achilles.” Well, yes, if giving advice once is enough to make someone count as an advisor. I think that this characterization better befits Patroclus.

5-D, eleven letters, “Lone Ranger’s grand-nephew.” It’s true. I didn’t read enough comic books.

6-A, four letters, “Nautical prefix.” Remember, it’s a Stumper.

6-D, eight letters, “What forest replanting supports.” Tricky.

23-A, fourteen letters, “Gershwin orchestral sequel.” I like a Gershwin tune. How about you?

30-D, nine letters, “Font of creativity.” Well, it’s not COMICSANS.

45-A, fourteen letters, “Highs and lows.” Nicely opaque.

My favorite clue in this puzzle: 11-D, nine letters, “Take it slow.”

No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

comments: 1

Michael Leddy said...

NESTOR. (In the Iliad he advises Achilles just once, in book one, telling him not to defy Agamemnon.)

GREENHORNET. (Really.) AERO. ARBORDAY. SECONDRHAPSODY.

IDEAWOMAN. (I wonder how many puzzler-doers were confounded by -WOMAN. Not me.)

WEATHERSYSTEMS. SPEEDZONE.