Saturday, March 6, 2021

Today’s Newsday  Saturday

Today’s Newsday  Saturday crossword is by Stan Newman, the puzzle’s editor. A good puzzle, though no Stumper.

Some clue-and-answer pairs I especially liked:

17-A, four letters, “Pixar’s owner of Woody and Buzz.” Aww. But maybe “Human companion of”?

23-A, three letters, “Start to squeak.” Clever.

29-A, three letters, “Without butter, say.” This takes me back to Deli King, Allston, Mass. Butter? No butter.

34-D, nine letters, “Loaf around a lunchroom.” This takes me back to my Brooklyn childhood.

36-A, fifteen letters, “Travel assistance at airports.” Nice to see this answer spanning the puzzle. But these things are so weird.

45-A, three letters, “Hammerstein female.” This takes me back to earlier fambly days.

46-D, six letters, “What often prevents a strike.” Not a CONTRAC.

50-A, eight letters, “Eyes-closed activity.” Tricky to get it right.

No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

comments: 1

Michael Leddy said...

ANDY. PIP. DRY. SEEDEDRYE.

(It’s impossible to find real rye bread in downstate Illinois supermarkets, so says I.)

MOVINGSIDEWALKS. DOE.

(The song’s title is “Do-Re-Mi,” but the lyrics read doe: “Doe — a deer, a female deer.” I checked The Complete Lyrics of Oscar Hammerstein II.)

ONEPIN. SNEEZING. (Not SLEEPING.)

SNEEZING. (Not SLEEPING.)