Thursday, March 18, 2021

Typewriters in film

A short marvel of imagination and editing, by Ariel Avissar: The Typewriter (supercut).

Mike Brown at Oddments of High Unimportance passed on the link, found in Sameer Vasta’s newsletter Weekend Reading: Flashing Palely in the Margins. Thanks, Mike and Sameer.

comments: 2

Geo-B said...

Great. I am so old, I wrote my dissertation on a manual typewriter. I am so old when I started college, I was in the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern. Our writing classes consisted of a roomful of manual typewriters with piles of newsprint. You had to get to class early to get the least-broken machine. I am so old when I was in high school I typed on a manual typewriter the college papers of my mother who had gone back to school. Thanks to my parents for giving me that Corona as a present. (Our family moved from Maryland to Ohio in the summer between my 8th and 9th grade. When my father went to sign me up for school, he thought I might as well do something useful in the summer, so he also signed me up for typing class, a very my-father thing to do).

Michael Leddy said...

My mom typed for me when I was in college, on a great Olympia that left the house with me when I went off to grad school. Still have it. In my last years of teaching I brought it to class when teaching William Carlos Williams. It was a true novelty for students to see.