Wednesday, March 10, 2021

BILL’S RESTAURANT

A confusing chyron on The 11th Hour just now:

GOP SENATOR BRAGS ABOUT BILL’S RESTAURANT
      BENEFITS AFTER NOT VOTING TO PASS IT

comments: 5

The Crow said...

I learned a new word tonight!

Michael Leddy said...

I learned it not too long ago. It sounds to me like the name of a creature from Greek mythology, but Merriam-Webster says it comes from the name of the Chyron Corporation, “American manufacturer in the 1970's of a character-generating device that created such captions.”

The Crow said...

I thought it was a Greek mythological monster, too! Several images came to mind before I googled the word. While the reality was not as beguiling as my fantasy creatures, I was pleased to learn something new. I like learning.

Do you suppose the Bill's Restaurant chyron was a spoof, designed to see if anyone was paying attention to the crawler?

Michael Leddy said...

It’s possibly a joke, but I think it’s more likely a chance line break. I think of Senator X talking up the restaurant before voting not to drive by it. Senator X then benefits from a hearty breakfast of bacon and eggs. Coffee too. : )

Michael Leddy said...

P.S.: Whatever chyrons are, I think they must have wings.