Saturday, March 20, 2021

Today’s Newsday Saturday

Today’s Newsday  Saturday crossword, by Matthew Sewell, is not an exceptionally difficult puzzle, but I have to remind myself: it’s a Themeless Saturday, not a Saturday Stumper. The puzzle was a pleasure to solve, with lively fill and a few tricky spots, particularly in the southwest corner, where I was sure I must have had something wrong. But I didn’t. It’s strange fun to get the puzzle right without knowing why. I think of it as the crossword equivalent of “Bank error in your favor.” Okay, if you say so.

Some clue-and-answer pairs I especially liked:

2-D, nine letters, “Breaking the host’s bowl, for example.” Takes me back, or forward, to the world of hosts and guests.

6-D, seven letters, “Hard seltzer category.” It’s only hard seltzer, but the answer sounds so lowdown to me. The reason is in the comments.

7-D, seven letters, “White pet cited by Aristotle.” I think mentioned might be more accurate. I’m not sure what it might have said in Greek.

16-A, ten letters, “Scrooge, to Dewey or Louie.” So that’s what he is.

22-A, four letters, “Dollywood group.” I heard it from a customer-service person on the phone the other day and loved it.

44-A, twelve letters, “Real dilemma.” Simultaneously lively and dowdy.

56-A, four letters, “Not a long range.” The answer made me think I must have made a mistake.

58-D, three letters, “Nickname for a Genesis patriarch namesake.” Nicely unexpected.

My favorite clue in this puzzle:

46-A, five letters, “It depends on oral interpretation.” So clever. And even after filling in an answer, which I thought couldn’t be right, I didn’t get the point, not right away.

No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

comments: 3

Michael Leddy said...

PARTYFOUL. ALCOPOP. Which makes me think of Alcorub:

“A brand of rubbing alcohol manufactured by the United States Industrial Alcohol Company, which also produced Sterno (Time Magazine 4/13/1931). Although toxic to drink, it was imbibed by some derelict alcoholics of the blues era.” Stephen Calt, Barrelhouse Words: A Blues Dialect Dictionary (Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 2009).

MALTESE. GREATUNCLE. YALL. QUITEAPICKLE. ATOB (A to B). IKE. (Not the more obvious Abe!)

THEUN (The UN).

Elaine said...

I have the NE unfilled, along with 57A/D...just writing that clued me in. Cajun cuisne is much more focused on crawdads and alligator vs shrimp, but okay. However, 57A/D hhas me on the ropes.
I am giving up...

Michael Leddy said...

I bet if you get a letter or two or three and think about different kinds of pairings that you’ll get it. 63-A is a little odd, which gave me trouble seeing the answer for 57-D.