Thursday, March 18, 2021

Work and fame

One piece of advice:

“Work, achieve renown,” he said to me.
That’s Charles Morel, violinist, speaking to the narrator of In Search of Lost Time, who’s said that he finally wants to get to the work of writing. “Who’s that from?” the narrator asks. “From Fontanes, to Chateaubriand.”

Another piece of advice:
Work your ass off to change the language & dont ever get famous.
That’s from “Experiments,” a list of writing practices compiled by Bernadette Mayer and members of a St. Mark’s Church Poetry Workshop.

Sources: Marcel Proust, Sodom and Gomorrah, trans. John Sturrock (New York: Penguin, 2005). Bernadette Mayer et al., “Experiments,” in In the American Tree, ed. Ron Silliman (Orono, ME: National Poetry Foundation, 1986).

Related reading
All OCA Proust posts (Pinboard)

[Translator’s note: “‘Work, work, my dear friend, achieve renown.’ Chateaubriand cites the words as having been written to him in 1798, by the Marquis Louis de Fontanes (1757–1821), a mediocre writer with whom he had become friendly during his exile in England.”]

comments: 8

Fresca said...

It's funny how persistent certain unnecessary apostrophes are---why haven't they dropped away, like sardines in restaurants?
I mean, we dont need them in "dont".
"The Vestigial Apostrophe"

Michael Leddy said...

William Faulkner would agree. : )

Frex said...

Really? I didn't know that!
I'm a know-nothing about Faulkner. Must research...
Frex = Fresca

Michael Leddy said...

He omits it with dont. I’m pretty sure he uses it everywhere else. The last sentences of Absalom, Absalom!: “I dont. I dont! I dont hate it! I dont hate it!”

Frex said...

Oh!
I wonder if there are other words where the apostrophe truly unneeded... I was thinking "lets", but it does have two meanings, with and without the apostrophe.
But there's only one use for "dont" I can think of.

Michael Leddy said...

Here’s something to read about the apostrophe: “Guerrilla Movements in Grammar.” There’s also an Apostrophe Protection Society. Me, I’d have a tough time seeing words as right without their apostrophes. But I make exceptions for Faulkner and any imaginative writing. Hubert Selby Jr. used slashes instead: I/ll see ya tomorrow.

Fresca said...

Thanks for the Guerrilla Movements article--I enjoyed that!

Michael Leddy said...

Youre welcome! : )