Wednesday, December 2, 2020

“Lola” at fifty

Ray Davies on “Lola” at fifty: “I didn’t think the song would be so ahead of its time.”

I am a latecomer to the greatness of the Kinks. Better late than never. As I wrote in a 2016 post, “I’m now convinced that there were three great pop groups in the 1960s: the Beatles, the Beach Boys, and the Kinks.”

[But hey, New York Times, a National guitar is not a dobro (which is played flat), nor does it have “the hard, tinny sound of a banjo.”]

comments: 4

Stefan said...

It was when the article mentioned the National that I thought about sending you a link. Then I guessed that you'd already have posted something it, and of course you had. I thought it was a pretty good story, but I cringed at that description.

Michael Leddy said...

It was a good story. That description is the kind of thing that’ll never be corrected and that’s likely to mislead. A little like saying that electric guitars are jangly.

Daughter Number Three said...

I haven't seen that many bands perform live, but I did see the Kinks play at Cornell University in about 1981. Late to it, of course.

Michael Leddy said...

But not as late as some people. :)