Sunday, August 23, 2020

Sociopathy unmasked

Research has shown:

People who are unconcerned with adhering to measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 tend to display higher levels of traits associated with antisocial personality disorder, also known as sociopathy.
I believe it.

I asked the person giving out masks outside our local multinational retail corporation if people were generally cooperative. Yes, she said, but some people take a mask and throw it in the wastebasket at the store entrance. Or they ask if they can wear the mask as a hat.

The height of asshattery, though falling short perhaps of sociopathy: the mask around the chin. That’s the mark of a true lover of personal liberty, eh?

The height of delusion: the no-mask-at-all people with religious sloganeering on their vestments: Let Your Faith Be Bigger Than Your Fear. (As seen yesterday.) I know from reliable sources about local people who say “It’s in God’s hands.” Okay. But deities are busy. Why not help out yours by wearing a fucking mask?

The good news is that no-masks are more and more obvious outliers. I’m pretty sure that another customer and I managed to shame a no-mask into leaving a line last week. (No details here.) I stepped away, saying “I want to keep my distance,” and a second masked customer wouldn’t even step forward. No-mask ended up walking out.

My little corner of Illinois is a coronavirus hotspot, thanks to freedom-loving asshats of all shapes and sizes. They have a sociopath as their sage and leader — or at least many of them do. My anger, I believe, is just.

A related post
Chris Miller, ugh

[“Freedom-loving”: as used here, freedom means “freedom from responsibility.”]

comments: 0