Friday, August 7, 2020

Whose toes?


[“Tourist Posing With 200-Year-Old Sculpture Breaks Her Toes.” The New York Times, August 7, 2020.]

Granted, the referent must be sculpture. And granted, the text that follows clears things up. But I’d rewrite this headline: “Tourist Accidentally Breaks Toes of 200-Year-Old Sculpture.” “Sculpture’s toes” sounds too awkward to me, or a little too much like (so-called) language-poetry.

Here’s the article. Step carefully.

comments: 3

Slywy said...

Sounded like a female tourist broke her toes. Can a sculpture have gender? Even if of a female figure, I’d say “its toes.” Then I’d edit to avoid.

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of something I saw some years ago in Italy. Two boys were playing around in an art museum when one of them accidentally hit the frame of a very old painting chipping it. There was a gendarme instantly to grab them and ask to speak to their parents. Although I can't speak Italian it was quite clear what the gendarmes were saying.

Kirsten

Michael Leddy said...

We got yelled at many years ago because our daughter (young enough to be carried) had a tiny toy in her hand. I think we ended up leaving the museum.