Saturday, August 22, 2020

Saturday’s Stumper today

Today’s Newsday Saturday Stumper, by Stan Newman, the puzzle editor, was divine, simply divine, a “Saturn-day Stumper” with clues about the Roman deity and his fambly.

Some clue-and-answer combo plates I especially liked:

1-A, four letters, “Red ___.” Do they still exist?

31-D, four letters, “Skyscraper supplier.” I like the sound of the clue.

41-A, seven letters, “Inapt outdoor sculptures.” Yes, sometimes they do need removed. (Need + past participle: a regionalism I like.)

57-D, three letters, “Heady real estate investment.” This kinda clue, I swear. (Trails off into muttering.)

59-A, six letters, “Open to the public.” I like the misdirection.

63-A, three letters, “Beer barrel pokers of a century ago.” Groan.

No spoilers: the answers are in the comments.

comments: 1

Michael Leddy said...

HOTS. OTIS. PLOPART. ALE. UNVEIL. FEDS.

ALE: “Heady reAL Estate investment.”