Saturday, August 15, 2020

Today’s Saturday Stumper

I think I get at least partial credit for doing today’s Newsday Saturday Stumper, by Andrew Bell Lewis. It started so well, with 4-D, five letters, “Name on the first side-by-side fridge.” Hail, appliance manufacturer familiar to all crossword solvers! And then 5-D, three letters, “Napa nickname” and 1-A, eight letters, “Twisty underground passageway.” Followed by 6-D, four letters, “Tiramisu treat just for 2020.” Hail, treat familiar to all crossword solvers! Though the idea of a treat made just for this hellish year seems pretty cruel right now. And 7-D, seven letters, “Spheroid sweet.” Hail, more quietly, to a more obscure treat, one I enjoyed greatly in my sugar-rich childhood.

Later in the puzzle: 35-D, eight letters, “Single-serving desserts” and 59-A, nine letters, “Yuletide fruitcake.” This puzzle will be receiving a visit from the ADA.

The clue that had me stumped: 43-D, six letters, “Misspend one's time.” I was so baffled that I never saw the obvious answer for 43-A, three letters, “Fostered.” At least not until I began typing through the alphabet to figure out what fit. A little like answering a multiple-choice question by circling and erasing each answer until a bell rings and you get some sort of treat. Of which there are many in this puzzle.

No spoilers: the answers are in the comments.

comments: 5

Michael Leddy said...

AMANA. CAB. CATACOMB. OREO. MILKDUD.

MUGCAKES. PANETTONE.

FRIVOL. FED.

(Frivol?)

shallnot said...

Except for AMANA and CATACOMBS I wonder if the setter is giving the dregs of the Thesaurus a good look with these. I expect I could come up with a less obscure "single-serving dessert" than a MUGCAKE (whatever that is).

And PANETTONE is more like bread with fruit than a cake it would seem.

Michael Leddy said...

A mug cake is a microwave concoction.

I have to admit that all I know about panettone is that a fellow blogger once posted a picture of one. Also that I’m wobbly on the correct spelling.

Chas M said...

I got the upper left really fast, due to "postwar digital marvel" and "digital 'marvelous'" coming quickly. But "early Edison filiment" HAD to be CARBON, right!?! It fit with ABASE and CAROB and AQUAPURA. Sigh.

Michael Leddy said...

I too found the upper left going really quickly, with one word leading to another to another, something that doesn’t happen all that often with a Saturday Stumper