Monday, August 17, 2020

A post about the post

I see from my stats that the 2017 post “The Letter,” revised, is getting a good number of visits. The post has the text of “The Letter,” a poem by Charles William Eliot, revised by Woodrow Wilson, and revised once again by Eliza D. Keith, teacher and suffragist. The poem celebrates letter writing, and the Wilson version is inscribed on the façade of the Old City Post Office, now the National Postal Museum, in Washington, D.C.

Have you called or written to the six members of the USPS’s Board of Governors? Their numbers and addresses are easy to find.

SOUSPS.

*

August 18: To make it easier, here are names and e-mail addresses:

Robert M. Duncan, chair: mduncan@inezdepositbank.com

John M. Barger: barger.jm@gmail.com

Ron A. Bloom: ron.bloom@brookfield.com

Roman Martinez IV: roman@rmiv.com

Donald L. Moak: lee.moak@moakgroup.com

William D. Zollars: DirectorAccessMailbox@cigna.com

I put six letters in a still-extant mailbox yesterday, but I added six e-mails today.

comments: 4

Stefan said...

Thanks, Michael. Here’s what I wrote to these gentlemen as a result of your post (the subject heading to which I refer is “fire DeJoy”):

Dear Messrs. Duncan, Barger, Martinez, Moak, Bloom, and Zollars;

As my subject heading makes clear, I am writing to urge that you fire or otherwise rein in Postmaster DeJoy. Leaving aside the fact of a Constitutional mandate for the USPS and the fact that Mr. DeJoy is a political crony with an obvious conflict of interest, let me appeal to your own self interest.

I see that all or most of you are associated with big banks or other kinds of high-powered investment or financial groups. It is hard to think of businesses that rely more on the speedy delivery of the mail. You are very successful men. Surely your continued success and that of your employees and investors depends on a functional mail service.

I see too that you are not young men, making it likely that you rely additionally on the USPS for Social Security checks and perhaps prescription medicine. Millions of less well-off Americans do too. And it is not unlikely that some of you served in the military, where mail service is sometimes the only link to home.

Finally, I see that you are a bipartisan board, made up of two Democrats and four Republicans. The Post Office is also bipartisan and delivers essential mail to all Americans, regardless of political persuasion. It is in this spirit of unity and cooperation that I beg you to use your influence and defend one of the greatest and most venerable of American institutions.

Thank you,

Stefan

Get Outlook for iOS

Michael Leddy said...

A great letter! I hope that their soon-to-be bulging mailboxes will be making them think about their responsibilities.

Fresca said...

Thanks--I copied and shared on FB the photo you link to of the USPS board. A couple friends shared my post too. You've helped spread the word.

Michael Leddy said...

Huzzah! I sent six. Elaine sent letters to all the addresses listed — home, business, and BoG, fifteen in all. These guys are in for it.