Tuesday, August 11, 2020

“We do language”

Toni Morrison:

We die. That may be the meaning of life. But we do language. That may be the measure of our lives.
From “The Nobel Lecture in Literature.” 1993. In The Source of Self-Regard: Selected Essays, Speeches, and Meditations (New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 2019).

Related reading
All OCA Toni Morrison posts (Pinboard)

comments: 5

Frex said...

Maybe I should add Morrison's quote to my dating profile! LOL
For the many potential matches who don't do language.

Michael Leddy said...

It might be esp. interesting if you attribute it to someone other than TM.

Have you seen Next Stop Wonderland? It’s a bittersweet movie about dating (back in newspaper-personals days) with Hope Davis. Emerson’s “A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds,” misattributed and misquoted, runs through it. I can’t really explain it though without revealing too much.

Fresca said...

Oh, I'd forgotten that movie, which I had loved when it came out!

I just watched the trailer to remind myself---LOL! YES!
Example of dating language: "Most people don't understand the importance of rubber nubs. With rubber nubs, your phone stays in place."

At least the Internet lets you weed out people without meeting them.

And the little bit with the wonderful Philip Seymour Hoffman...
(I hate that he's STILL DEAD.)

Misattribution of quotes--ha! It could be fate: if I did that and someone caught it, I would have to marry them.

Fresca said...

P.S. Another Hope Davis movie I loved: The Daytrippers with Stanley Tucci as her husband. Have you seen it? She discovers a love note in his pocket--quoting Andrew Marvell's poem "The Definition of Love":

"My love is of a birth as rare
As ’tis for object strange and high;
It was begotten by Despair
Upon Impossibility."

I've never been able to find it online... Just now I see it's on the Criterion channel!!! Woot! I know what I'm doing tonight.

Michael Leddy said...

I was just going to say it’s on the Criterion Channel. Yes, it’s a good one.