From the 99% Invisible podcast series A History of the United States in 100 Objects, an episode about the Western Electric 500, the telephone that was once ubiquitous in United States households.
I still have a thrift-store 500, a gift from my kids, which I used in my office, where its loud ring would sometimes startle students. I sometimes invited curious students to call when they came in to talk, just so they could hear the ring if they’d never heard it. I had it turned up to eleven. Several years before I retired, we lost our office phones — a cost-cutting measure. Now the 500 sits in a closet, sometimes taken out to entertain grandkids.
Given the discussion in this episode of telephony past, with room-length extension cords and young people talking away for hours at a time, I would have liked to have heard something about Tin Can, the faux-landline telephone for kids that helps foster the skills of person-to-person communication across a distance. It’s a nifty device. As durable as the Western Electric 500? We’ll have to wait and see.
Related reading
All OCA telephone posts (Pinboard)
Monday, September 28, 2026
Western Electric 500
By
Michael Leddy
at
8:23 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I remember an old prank. Two boys would ride the bus with a paper bag. A ring, like a phone or an alarm clock, would sound. One boy would reach in, pull out the phone, put the handset to his ear, then say, "It's for you."
ReplyDeleteThat’s great. I hope the grownups were amused. (I would be.)
Delete