Sunday, September 6, 2026

One restaurant, three names

Okay, if you’ve skipped the Yankee Diner and you’re not in the mood for Pure Food, take a walk on the wild side — in other words, a little farther down Avenue U. Where are we going for lunch? Is it to the Airport Oyster & Chop House? Or is it to Pete’s Airport Clam Bar? Or both?

[4200 Avenue U, Marine Park, Brooklyn, c. 1939–1941. From the NYC Municipal Archives Collections. Click for a much larger view.]

The 1940 directory keeps it simple.


The airport would be Floyd Bennett Field, used by the United States Coast Guard and Navy.

Notice the sign for Love Nest candy, much smaller than the one atop this Manhattan diner.

And notice this guy, looking pretty rough.

[Click for a larger view.]

Related posts
More photographs from the NYC Municipal Archives (Pinboard)

5 comments:

  1. To the reader who wondered about “a little farther down Avenue U”: you’re right; I should’ve written “further.” Garner’s Modern English Usage: “Further is much more ubiquitous than farther in everyday speech and writing.” Garner marks further for distance as Stage 4 on his Language-Change Index, “Ubiquitous but ….”

    ReplyDelete
  2. No need to post, but your comment has it backwards: I wondered about your use of "further," suggesting that it be be changed to "farther" since the sense involved physical distance. It seems you agree, inasmuch as you changed it. From a 2011 Garner post describing Stage 4 on his Language-Change Index, my arguing to keep the distinction between "further" and "farther" makes me a "die-hard snoot." Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Muphry’s law strikes again! Yes, I mixed up “farther” and “further” in my comment. “Further down the street” sounds natural to me, but the Google Ngram Viewer persuaded me: it shows “farther down the street” far as about twice as common. The life of a die-hard snoot can be tough — ask me how I know.

    “Nice choice”: I assume you mean as a photo, not as a food choice. :)

    ReplyDelete

I moderate comments to avoid spam. Please be patient. Thanks.