My son Ben let me know something I didn’t: that Bob Dylan’s “Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right” borrows from Paul Clayton’s “Who’s Gonna Buy You Ribbons (When I’m Gone),” which itself borrows from “Who Gon Bring You Chickens,” published in a 1927 compilation, Eight Negro Songs (From Bedford Co. Virginia). Much more about these three songs at Bring You Chickens.
The traditional-to-Clayton-to-Dylan story is widely known. I gave Ben one back, which I’m not sure anyone else knows: Dylan’s “Moonlight” borrows from Eubie Blake and Andy Razaf’s “Memories of You.” The lyrics and melody are Dylan’s. But listen to the chord changes: they’re Blake’s.
Nothing wrong about that: countless tunes have been written over the chord changes of American standards. And Dylan knows standards.
Thursday, September 10, 2026
Dylan and others
By
Michael Leddy
at
8:48 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

comments: 0
Post a Comment
I moderate comments to avoid spam. Please be patient. Thanks.