Friday, September 11, 2026

More than $5000

The current occupant has promised $5000 to every adult American if Republicans retain control of Congress. To paraphrase Gertrude Stein, There ain’t any $5000, there ain’t going to be any $5000, there never has been any $5000, that’s the $5000.

But I think there’s more to this faux-promise than dollar signs. I think that the occupant made this faux-promise knowing that he will never have to make good on it, and that the failure to make good on it will then be something he can hang on Democrats. If, say, Republicans became a minority in the House, any new Democratic representative who flipped a seat will have a target on their back for having deprived Americans of the money the occupant promised them.

Does the occupant have the cognitive ability to scheme thusly? Who knows. Perhaps someone suggested the idea to him.

2 comments:

  1. On a Youtube clip I saw where it is a (criminal?) offence to offer, or to accept, bribes for votes. (I'm not a US citizen, so I don't know)
    I guess if the democrats get into the majority then they could arrest the folks who knowingly set the teleprompter to say the bribe.
    In Canada we close the bars on election day to prevent booze being used as a bribe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it’s illegal in the States. But that wouldn’t stop him from seeking some gray area — it’s something offered after voting, not before, etc.

    ReplyDelete

I moderate comments to avoid spam. Please be patient. Thanks.