Monday, September 21, 2026

They also serve who hang around and wait

Brad (Wallace Ford), in Blues in the Night (dir. Anatole Litvak, 1941):

“Wonder if you’d do me a favor. Would you mind playing for me? Funny, a guy like me, how I go for music, yet I can’t play well. But then I never could do anything very well except hang around and wait.”
[See John Milton.]

2 comments:

  1. I knew what the line would be before I clicked, of course, but I had never read Milton. I suppose others who quote the line had read him, but not me. Quite a glorious passage, so thank you for linking to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that line has pretty wide distribution. The poem is sometimes given the title “On His Blindness,” which makes the context clear for someone who’s new to Milton.

    ReplyDelete

I moderate comments to avoid spam. Please be patient. Thanks.