Friday, September 4, 2026

In life and in the theatre

Adolfo Bioy Casares, The Invention of Morel, trans. Ruth L.C. Simms (New York: New York Review Books, 2003).

Also from this novella
Suspicion

2 comments:

  1. I've never gotten around to the Bioy Casares, but coincidentally yesterday I picked up a free copy of Malachy Tallack's The Undiscovered Islands, where he refers to one Benjamin Morrell, "a nineteenth-century sealing captain whose reputation for fantasy was widely known in his lifetime." Among other things, Morrell named an island after himself — which doesn't actually exist. I gather that Bioy Casares is said to have chosen the name Morel as a homage to H. G. Wells's Dr. Moreau, but there may be more to that story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! It appears that there is: there’s at least one article that mentions Morrell in relation to the novella: “Island metapoetics and beyond: introducing island poetics, Part I.” There’s also a note in a collection of essays about Bioy Casares that suggests Poe’s “The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket,” which borrows from Morrell, as a source, along with another Poe story, “Morella.” (And another revealing note about a Louise Brooks movie not yet known to me.) There’s nothing about Morrell in the intro to the NYRB volume. Maybe there’ll be something in the new translation they’re putting out this fall.

    ReplyDelete

I moderate comments to avoid spam. Please be patient. Thanks.