Sunday, September 6, 2026

“How Do You Talk?”

“How Do You Talk?” is an American accent quiz. I took the full quiz (122 questions).

[Click for a larger view.]

The biggest tells: I stand on line ; I pronounce bag more like baieg ; I distinguish between Mary , merry , and marry; and I say Flah-ri-da (though it’s really more like Flahr-i-da.

This quiz seems to be everywhere, but I learned about it from Daughter Number Three.

6 comments:

  1. Ah, the 60-question quiz doesn't have in line / on line. That's one of the questions that distinguishes a down state NY from an upstate NY resident, as does my lack of distinguishing Mary/merry/marry. Sorry about that. I remember my shock the first time I realized other people say those differently. And I say FLOR-i-da (as one should... obviously).

    ReplyDelete
  2. In/on is a strange omission, considering that it’s identified as a key marker. I was amused by the multiple questions about positive anymore. I hear it often and have no problem with it, but I’d never use it. Does that make it acceptable, or unacceptable?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting site. But one of the tells on Texans is that we allegedly say pranksters “wrap” houses with toilet paper. I have heard “wrap.” But I heard at least two “rolls” for every “wrap.” — Heber

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had easy access to the Dictionary of American Regional English. In NJ and Illinois, I’ve never heard anything but TP.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Massachusetts here. The quiz says "tonic" is the most common name for a fizzy drink. But that's the greater Boston area; west of Boston where I grew up, we said "soda." So maybe this quiz isn't comprehensive enough distinguish between the regional variations we have in eastern Massachusetts. (Also, having lived in the Bay Area for 13 years, how could they miss that for northern California, San Francisco is The City -- nobody from the Bay Area would dignify L.A. by calling it "The City." And southern Californians when referring to a highway will call it "the 101," but people who grew up in the Bay Area would always say "101" or Highway 101.")

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting about “the,” which I know from trips to L.A., and “tonic,” which I don’t think I ever heard when I lived in Boston (though I did hear “grinder” for “sub” many times).

    I wish there were a way to offer comments to the quiz makers.

    ReplyDelete

I moderate comments to avoid spam. Please be patient. Thanks.