Thursday, January 25, 2024

“White Rabbit” in Wal-Mart

I was about to exit my friendly neighborhood multinational retailer (Wal-Mart) when the automatic doors failed. A metal gate dropped down on the inside side. I could still see the outside world (the parking lot) via a reflection in a mirror behind me.

Another stuck shopper began singing Jefferson Airplane’s “White Rabbit.” I joined in, and when she stopped, I kept going. The doors opened and I pushed my shopping cart into the parking lot. Elaine was there, looking for our car. It was parked in a section of the lot we never use.

Someone called out: “Hey, Mr. Leddy!” I looked in every direction but couldn’t figure out where the call came from.

Related reading
All OCA dream posts (Pinboard)

[Possible sources: a chance viewing of The Dick Cavett Show with Jefferson Airplane (among others), a New York Times Metropolitan Diary story about people joining in song (in an elevator? the subway?), Wal-Mart. Only fools and children talk about their dreams”: Dr. Edward Jeffreys (Robert Douglas), in Thunder on the Hill (dir. Douglas Sirk, 1951).]

comments: 0