Monday, January 1, 2024

Missing Moleskine pages

[March 25 followed by April 11. Really.]

For me, the ritual of the new year’s Moleskine planner begins as the old year ends. First comes the removal of shrinkwrap, followed by the use of an iron to uncrease the silk-ribbon marker. Thank you for not laughing at my ritual.

When I began writing in some details of the new year yesterday — birthdays, appointments — I did a doubletake, really. And indeed, sixteen days are missing from this pocket-sized daily planner. This fail is not a one-off: a 2012 YouTube video shows an eighteen-month pocket-sized weekly planner that jumps from August 19 to October 10. An Amazon review has a photograph of a 2024 pocket-sized weekly planner that runs from January 1 to March 17, then from January 22 to March 17, and then from July 8 on. The luck of the Irish?

The only calendar I think I should proofread is the one I make myself every year. But perhaps proofreading a Moleskine well in advance of the new year is a wise policy. The opportunity to return my planner to Amazon ran out in August, and no, they would not make an exception. (I called.) I’ve let Moleskine, whose planners I’ve been using since 2006, know about the problem with my planner. And I’m now waiting on a Leuchtturm planner and an extra oppportunity for engaging in a ritual. This Moleskine planner will be my last.

*

February 5: After finding the Leuchtturm week-on-two-pages format uncongenial, I caved and bought a replacement Moleskine. I’m still waiting on a reply to a letter to Moleskine U.S., sent January 9.

*

The story of my effort to get a refund for my defective Moleskine continues here and here.

comments: 2

Gunther said...

That's really odd. – Have you thought about switching to a Hobonichi Techo? I haven't found any missing days in ten years ;-)

Happy New Year!

Michael Leddy said...

Ha! Yes, we should be able to count on getting all the days with a calendar.

I was thinking about and admiring the Hobonichi Weeks, but I wanted something more pocket-sized.