Saturday, January 13, 2024

Today’s Saturday Stumper

I found today’s Newsday  Saturday Stumper, by Matthew Sewell, more congenial than some recent Stumpers. Very doable, with ample misdirection and trickiness, but very little far-fetchedness. And yes, I think it’s far-fetched to think of far-fetchedness as a word. Also, I think that its hyphen will at some point become unnecessary.

Some clue-and-answer pairs of note:

1-D, five letters, “Bag label.” Yes, I guessed IDTAG first, just as I think I was supposed to.

4-D, fourteen letters, “Tank.” The second answer I filled in, with help from 16-A, five letters, “Some rust removers.”

10-D, nine letters, “Right thing.” A wonderful clue.

12-D, four letters, “Plodding pair.” Yes, I guessed FEET first.

14-A, nine letters, “Organic cooler.” Nice misdirection.

14-D, five letters, “Organic cooler.” Eh, maybe not so nice.

15-D, fourteen letters, “’79 film with the line ‘Pardon my boa!’” The other fourteen-letter answer in this puzzle.

17-A, nine letters, “Couple’s game phrase.” Kinda weird.

39-D, seven letters, “Palate cleanser.” Far-fetched but also pretty much inaccurate.

42-A, seven letters, “Chlorides in a bag.” Timely.

49-D, five letters, “National Blocking Association focus.” I thought must be , couldn’t be , must be .

61-A, three letters, “Munch kin land, briefly.” Yes, far-fetchedness is a word.

My favorite in this puzzle: 22-A, eight letters, “Peak performance establishment.” Though I’d never want to be there.

No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

comments: 3

Michael Leddy said...

PRADA. GODOWNINFLAMES. ACIDS.

FREEPRESS. DEES. (PloDDing.)

SHADETREE. SWEAT. THEMUPPETMOVIE.

WERETHERE. (In other words, “We’re game.”)

DENTIST. (Does the dentist really clean the roof of the mouth? Only indirectly.)

ICEMELT. JENGA. (They have a website.) NOR. BASECAMP.

Geo-B said...

So, would you describe today's puzzle as near-fetched?

Michael Leddy said...

Ha! Some might just call it “fetch,” as in “That is so fetch.” I’d lean more to the Larry David “pretty, pretty, pretty good.” If I can fetch the answers, it’s a good puzzle.