Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Meta detectives

From I Wouldn’t Be in Your Shoes (dir. William Nigh, 1948). A police detective (Rory Mallinson) has just told Tom Quinn (Don Castle) that he’s under arrest for murder:

“Now wait a minute, you guys aren’t serious. What are you, a couple of actors out of work? You don’t even look like detectives.”
I Wouldn’t Be in Your Shoes is still streaming at the Criterion Channel.

Also from this movie
A Mongol pencil sighting

comments: 4

Geo-B said...

Once, we flew to Florida, with cheap tickets, and when I Googled the airline, I saw they only had ten planes, so the one that flew to Florida, made the return flight to Chicago. All the flight attendants had non-matching uniforms, and my daughter observed, it's like they told them, come to work, and dress like a flight attendant. All jobs have uniforms, whether it's a teacher uniform, a 7-11 cashier uniform, a detective uniform.

Michael Leddy said...

I think Frank Zappa said that everyone wears a uniform. But I’m not sure how I (sort of) know that.

And I’m guessing you might be feeling a cartoon coming on.

Geo-B said...

Frank Zappa (The Mothers Of Invention) Lyrics
Play "The Little House …"
on Amazon Music Unlimited (ad)
"The Little House I Used To Live In"

[FZ:] Thank you, good night... Thank you, if you'll... if you sit down and be quiet, we'll make an attempt to, ah, perform Brown Shoes Don't Make It.
[Man In Uniform:] Back on your seats, come on, we'll help you back to your seats, come on...
[Guy In The Audience:] Take that man out of here! Oh! Go away! Take that uniform off man! Take that bloody uniform before it's fuckin' too late, man!
[FZ:] Everybody in this room is wearing a uniform, and don't kid yourself.
[Guy In The Audience:]...man!
[FZ:] You'll hurt your throat, stop it!

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks, George!