Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Moleskine, sono pazzi

In the continuing story (parts 1 and 2) of my attempt to receive a refund for a defective Moleskine planner:

Having had no response to a January 9 letter, I e-mailed the customer-care address yesterday and attached that letter. And I got an e-mail back with the offer of a replacement planner.

I replied, explaining, as I aleady explained in an e-mail (January 8) and in my letter, that I have requested a refund because, after being promised a refund, I bought a replacement Moleskine planner from Amazon. I don’t need another 2024 Moleskine planner. I don’t need another 2024 Moleskine planner. I don’t need another 2024 Moleskine planner.

See? I’ve now told them three times.

Somehow I get the impression that Moleskine doesn’t give sufficient attention to quality control (sixteen missing pages) or customer service. I would like to be proven wrong. But I’m pretty sure that I’ll be buying a Letts or Leuchtturm pocket planner for 2025. It’ll be my first non-Moleskine since 2005.

And I forgot to mention: fountain-pen ink bleeds through the pages. Badly.

*

Later the same day: I e-mailed Moleskine to say that if they will not refund my money, I will settle for a pocket notebook, black, squared. I received a reply offering me a planner (“the exact item”) or a voucher to be used on their website. I explained, for the fourth time, that I don’t need another planner. I pointed out, too, that the notebook has a lower price. And I asked: wouldn’t it be simpler to send a notebook rather than a voucher that I can use to order a notebook? No reply yet.

Fourteen e-mails so far. Two more and it’ll be one for each page missing from my defective Moleskine.

*

February 7: I found a customer-service number: 833-809-9087. (How come it’s not in their notebooks? How come it’s not on the company website?) They’re going to send a pocket notebook, black, squared. I still plan to switch to Letts or Leuchtturm next year.

Related reading
All OCA Moleskine posts (Pinboard)

[“Moleskine, sono pazzi”: Moleskine, they’re crazy.]

comments: 7

Fresca said...

I am weirdly enjoying this saga! It’s a little kafkaesque. “May I offer you a 2024 planner?”

Fresca said...

PS. I imagine some subterranean connection between the moleskin customer Service and the New York Times obituary writer that hasn’t changed the Honeymooners error. Maybe they’re the same person…

Michael Leddy said...

It’s a bit like talking to Siri.

Still no correction for the Joyce Randolph obit. Maybe that's because the writer is preparing a notebook for mailing.

joecab said...

I thought this was one of your dream journal entries 😮

Michael Leddy said...

LOL! A nightmare, and a dumb one at that.

J D Lowe said...

I'm glad to hear you got some compensation. I don't have a Leuchtturm planner, but I do use one of their hardcover notebooks and it's excellent. Hopefully their planner is too.

Michael Leddy said...

I have their weekly, but using it showed me how much I prefer a page a day. I’m not happy about the leather-like cover and the thick bookmark ribbons, but the paper quality is excellent. Breaking up is hard to do. : )