Saturday, July 1, 2023

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday  Saturday Stumper is by “Lester Ruff,” Stan Newman offering an easier puzzle. I didn’t find the puzzle especially easy or especially satsifying. See 60-A.

Some clue-and-answer pairs of note:

1-A, ten letters, ”Treatment you won’t take lying down.” Kinda arcane?

8-D, fifteen letters, ”What got Welles on Page One.” Well, okay.

14-D, eight letters, “Where Cash recorded ‘A Boy Named Sue.’” Um, no. The place has, after all, a name. As did the boy.

17-A, ten letters, “Broadly speaking.” This answer, who uses it?

52-A, three letters, “Panelist’s cry?” Just ridiculous.

53-D, five letters, “Cruise’s first Oscar-nominated role.” Who knows? I had to look it up, which gave me 52-A.

65-A, ten letters, ”The Last Man on the Moon author.” Really Trivial Pursuit.

I think this post has amounted to a 60-A, ten letters, “Festivus recitation.”

No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

comments: 5

Michael Leddy said...

STANDUPMRI. MARTIANINVASION. STATEPEN. (San Quentin.)

INTHELARGE. ACK. (From the comic strip Cathy.

KOVIC. GENECERNAN. (What he did though was not trivial.)

GRIEVANCES.

joecab said...

It may be ridiculous but it leapt out at me and was my first entry. I'm a big fan of the genre.

But that KOVIC/GENECERNAN crossing was impossible for me. I had to look it up. Not a fan.

Michael Leddy said...

Which leapt out?

I tried NOVIC and KERNAN before searching.

joecab said...

For “Panelist’s cry?” I immediatly knew what they were going for, so I was thinking it would be ACK or EEK

Michael Leddy said...

Oh, now I understand.