Saturday, July 22, 2023

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday  Saturday Stumper is by Stella Zawistowski. I started with 1-D, four letters, “Small row” and 14-A, five letters, “Artistic lamentation.” The puzzle soon grew more difficult, and one clue gave me fits.

Some clue-and-answer pairs of note, including the fit one:

5-D, fourteen letters, “Steamers, for instance.” Wow, or whoa. I was thinking clams.

16-D, fourteen letters, “Expression of lost love lamentation.” Wow again. I loved seeing the answer in a crossword.

19-A, seven letters, “Overemotional oratory.” The form of the answer makes the clue tricky.

22-A, five letters, “Name on the ACC member list.” Perversely trivial. And is the answer even a name? I don’t think so.

33-A, nine letters, “Haydn opera.” The clue that gave me fits. Even if the answer is correct — and Elaine says it’s not — the clue is just ridic. More in the comments.

35-A, fifteen letters, “Symbol of proletarian solidarity.” If you say so. But I don’t think many working people would recognize it as such.

41-D, three letters, “With 42 Down, Palme d’Or winner for 1993.” Random trivia, which I hugely dislike in crosswords. Ah, yes, the ’93 winner, not ’92 or ’94. Who knows this, and who’ll remember it a week from now? And I always dislike common words clued as trivia.

43-A, five letters, “Evidence of encryption.” I am happy to say I knew it.

49-A, seven letters, “Onetime big name in beverages.” Onetime? I have a bottle of their gin (cheap!) in the kitchen. But the clue might have more to do with corporate history than with a name present on store shelves.

My favorite in this puzzle: 45-D, five letters, “What a loud barker might be called.” Just plain clever.

No spoilers; the answers are in the comments, along with more about 33-A.

comments: 1

Michael Leddy said...

SPAT. PIETA. WARDROBETRUNKS. ARGENTINETANGO.

TIRADES. (A plural.) NOTRE. (As in Notre Dame.)

SONATINAS. (Elaine says that Haydn’s sonatinas are in fact baryton trios that were later arranged as sonatinas for piano by another hand. She suggests as a better clue: “Beethoven opera.” Beethoven did write sonatinas for piano. Opera in this clue is the plural of opus.)

HAMMERANDSICKLE. THE. PIANO. HTTPS SEAGRAM.

SARGE. (I knew there was a reason to read Beetle Bailey.)